Growing up, my two favorite books were the yearly Almanac and The Book of Lists. That's why I enjoyed The Age Factor, a very brief piece in the latest issue of Time Magazine, in which Mark Halperin presents a few famous people who share birth years with John McCain and Barack Obama.
I decided to do a little more research and see who else shares the birth year with these two. As with the Time piece, I left out Hilary Clinton because she's almost right in the middle of McCain and Obama, being born in 1946.
Going a bit further, I looked up milestones that happened in 1936 & 1961. Here's a few:
- 1936 Summer Olympics open in Berlin, Germany
- The first edition of Life is published
- King Edward VIII abdicates the throne
- Franklin D. Roosevelt is reelected to a second term
- John F. Kennedy becomes the 35th President
- The Beatles perform for their first Cavern Club gig
- The Bay of Pigs Invasion of Cuba begins
- The Vietnam War officially begins
No political analysis here. Other than the obvious observation that twenty-five years really makes a difference when it's presented with historical events and famous faces And I may be bias since I'm already an Obama supporter, but anyone born in the same year as George Clooney and Michael J. Fox is alright with me.